If you’re looking for a comforting and satisfying meal that’s also vegan-friendly, look no further than this hearty shepherd’s pie made with lentils and mushrooms. Packed with protein, fiber, and flavorful ingredients, this dish will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter or margarine
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). In a large skillet or pot, sauté the onion and garlic in a little bit of oil until they are fragrant and softened. Add the carrots, celery, and mushrooms and cook until the vegetables are tender.
Add the lentils, vegetable broth, thyme, rosemary, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
While the lentil mixture is simmering, boil the potatoes in a separate pot until they are fork-tender. Drain the water, then add the non-dairy milk and vegan butter or margarine to the pot. Use a potato masher or hand mixer to mash the potatoes until they are smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the lentil mixture to a baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the lentil mixture and spread it out to cover the filling.
- Bake the shepherd’s pie for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Let the pie cool for a few minutes before serving.
There you have it! A delicious and hearty vegan shepherd’s pie that’s sure to satisfy your cravings. This recipe is a great way to enjoy a classic comfort food dish while still sticking to a plant-based diet. Serve it up with a side of steamed vegetables or a fresh salad for a complete meal.
What makes this recipe vegan?
This recipe is vegan because it doesn’t contain any animal products or by-products. Instead of using meat, we use lentils and mushrooms for a plant-based protein source.
Can this recipe be made gluten-free?
Yes! This recipe is naturally gluten-free, but be sure to double-check the labels on any packaged ingredients to make sure they don’t contain any gluten.
How long will leftovers keep?
This dish can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. Reheat individual servings in the microwave or oven until heated through.